Invisible Stranger


Invisible Stranger

Collecting Crises on Old Compton Street and Beyond

Contact me

Little Tinker

Currently clicking:
- bboyblues
- bitful
- blue witch
- diamondgeezer
- glitter for brains
- london calling
- naked blog
- troubled diva

Usually Playing:
- ute
- neil and chris
- peter and anna
- june
- kurt

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

www.blogwise.com

Friday, February 27, 2004
Big Read
All the books worth reading have already all been read. Or at least it sometimes seems that way. Just a few years ago, you'd rarely see me without a book in my hand. No literary snob, I was a paperback junkie-slut, indiscriminately devouring everything from fiction to non-fiction, pulp to poetry, Trainspotting to Tennyson.

I was what they called "well-read". Why, my dears, I used to get invited to some of the most interesting parties around solely on the grounds I was that rare bird indeed – someone who had actually read Proust (and, what's more, in the original, mes chéries), and so knew precisely where and how to dunk his madeleine.

And now? Well, I can't recall the last time I enjoyed a new book so much that being dragged off for a few Stellas wasn't a preferable option. And it's been years since I even finished one properly, without skim-reading the final few chapters just to get the damn thing out of the way. The bestseller lists are packed with vapid clones of each other, and even my one-time favourite Martin Amis seems to have vanished up his own anus. And let's not even talk about that self-pitying, narcissistic, flaccid piffle which laughingly goes by the name of "gay fiction", but is, in fact, so unrelentingly grim that it's enough to turn a boy straight.

So I find myself returning time and time again to classic authors I've read before, and who I know won't disappoint: for upper-class satire and wry wit, Evelyn Waugh and Simon Raven; for intricate plotting, Le Carré, when he was good; my dear old Thomas Hardy for storytelling pure and simple; Kafka and Borges when I'm feeling literary and paranoid; and for psychological drama there's still no one to beat Patricia Highsmith, author of the wonderful Ripley books. And sooner or later, I always return to Gormenghast or Middle Earth.

But I miss the excitement of discovering a new writer and their books. Any ideas? I don't ask much: just well-crafted prose, characters or ideas I can believe in and relate to, and, ideally, but not essential, a beginning, a middle and an end. With a couple of exceptions I don't see anything on the bookshelves these days which fires my enthusiasm.

Until I do, I see that the new Muriel Spark is out. Now there is someone who really knows how to write.